Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Jesuit Baseball Opening Night

Through twitter I was able to find out that none other than Rays ace David Price would be on hand to throw out the ceremonial first pitch for Tampa Jesuit baseball's first game of the season. I had been contemplating going just to get Lance McCullers Jr. on his Topps Team USA card, but the shot at Price was the clincher in my decision to make the drive.

I showed up a bit early hoping to grab McCullers as the early game (Jesuit was hosting a tournament)was going on. No luck there, so I wound up having to wait until just before the game. I hung out by the dugout and once I was able to make eye contact he came right over and signed my two color USA jersey card.



Almost immediately afterward, I realized David Price was walking in. He was with school personnel going over the plan for the pre game festivities. Knowing he is a great signer I chose not to interrupt and instead wait until after his first pitch for a shot. Also he brought along a friend, none other than BJ Upton. Upton signed a ton of baseballs for kids. I had nothing for him, not even a baseball. I wish I would have foreseen that one as he can be a tough graph. Better luck next time.

After the pre game ceremony for Lance McCullers and his Jackie Robinson award, Price threw his pitch and was taken to an area off to the side of the dugout. I followed the kids and they bugged him for autographs. Great kids, they all got in a single file line and Price happily obliged. So I jumped in behind all the kids and waited my turn. Got him to sign a 16x20 or so sized canvas print that was available at Target during last season.



Walked out with the goal accomplished, still wish I would have at least had something for Upton though.

No comments:

Post a Comment