Monday, March 7, 2011

It's not always easy...

I hit a deadspot this week. Seemed like every out of town dealer/collector managed to time their spring training vacations with my rotating plans of hitting all the local camps.

I arrived late to Twins camp on Tuesday due to a mandatory work meeting in the morning, ended up driving 2 and a half hours round trip to get two guys.

Spent last Wednesday at Orioles camp and came away with 4 guys in about 6 hours. Essentially nothing inside, and slim pickings in a crowded parking lot.


The problem with both of these days was the rediculous quantity of people. Got Mark Reynolds inside the O's complex, and the other few guys in the parking lot, with a crowd that fluctuated between 15-20 throughout the time I spent there. Its tough to get any names to stop there with any more than 10 people asking, as you can see by the results.

As for Twins camp, I arrived late, got Tolbert as he was walking off the side field as he was the last one in from the non mandatory early position player workouts. Went in the main stadium, caught the tail end of a popup fielding drill for catchers, and then proceeded to not be one of the lucky ones in the Mauer Mad Dash. He signed for about 20-30 ish, picking and choosing and personalizing most things. With nothing else happening, I decided to hit the parking lot. Got Alexi Casilla right away, he signed for the 5 of us waiting. I thought it was going to be a good day with so few people waiting, until they all showed up... Before the next player pulled out I was standing with about 50 of my not so closest autograph collecting friends. And they kept on coming. I threw in the towel and grabbed some orange/vanilla swirl ice cream at the citrus shop up the street so the trip wasn't a complete waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment